Wednesday, October 31, 2007

We (attempt to) Paint! Target Store, Cincinnati, Ohio


Site: Target store off of Ridge Road in Cincinnati, Ohio
Time: 3:15- 3:32 pm, Wednesday October 31, 2007
Contributors: Alejandro and Devon (brothers)

Pictures

Today was a difficult day on the forefront of experimental community painting. Fifteen minutes after set up, the manager at Target walked outside where I was set up and told me: "Miss, you are going to have to leave. We don't allow these kinds of things to happen here." At this point, I told Alejandro and his brother Devon, who had already volunteered to paint, that they could paint while I packed up. I didn't do much thinking from there before I just packed up my things and left. I was quite upset that the gentleman didn't even ask any questions about my work.
Today's experience made me think a lot about our consumer culture. The people bustling in and out of Target consecutively ignored me or told me that 1 minute and thirty seconds is a lot of time that they needed to spend "buying stuff". I understand that people have a lot to do on a day to day basis, but I also think that we might benefit if we make time AND space, for new things to happen. It is difficult for me to come to terms with the fact that so many of the corporations that run this country (and many others) do not promote positive change, learning, or questioning the norm, among other values.
I plan on going back to Target to explain the project to the staff in more detail, since I was too flustered to stand my ground at the time of the incident. Even if they do not want this "kind of thing" to happen around the store, I would still like for those people who are there to understand it on a human level (not a profit margin level). Overall, I think that Alejando and Devon's work out-shines the negativity of the day. It is a positive piece of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment